As technology continues to generate massive changes in the way the world does business, organizations of every size are enhancing their effectiveness by leveraging technology solutions. We refer to it as Digital Transformation, but it’s also known as IT Modernization, Process Automation, or Robotic Process Automation (RPA).
Regardless of what you call it, the benefits can be substantial. They include greater productivity and agility, enhanced accuracy and reliability of information and reports, increased customer satisfaction, expanded opportunities for growth, and lower mental stress.
What is Digital Transformation?
Digital transformation is the concept of understanding the interrelation of People, Processes, and Technology and identifying where technology can enhance processes.
While each organization’s digital transformation journey is unique, every digital transformation is made up of these three general pillars:
Data Governance. Creating a centralized area with many different data sets that the organization produces, also possibly including external relevant data sets. Data governance also includes identifying business keys and owners for each data set.
Process Automation. Identifying and developing automation solutions for activities regularly and repeatedly performed in the organization.
Analysis and Forecasting. Leveraging the data the organization produces to create actionable insights.
The pillar that provides the greatest value will vary depending on the organization. For example, an organization with a comprehensive ERP application that is already acting as a curated data set across the organization will not focus heavily on Data Governance, since a large quantity of transactions are located in a single location. But the Data Governance pillar still acts as an accelerator for the activities to be performed.
This series will take you through the digital transformation process step-by-step to give you an idea of how it can be applied in your organization. If you already started on this journey, these articles can help your organization get the most out of the process.
- Planning Your Digital Transformation Journey
- Creating the Right Culture for a Successful Digital Transformation
- Understanding the Digital Infrastructure of Systems, Applications and Databases
- Identifying the Knowledge and Skills in Your Organization to Support Your Digital Transformation Journey
- Building an Innovation Architecture to Support Performance and Success
- Building and Maintaining Momentum
- Robotic Process Automation and Automation Are Not the Same
- Staffing for Successful Digital Transformations
- Citizen Developers: How to Rein in the Chaos
- Architecting Your Digital Transformation Office
For information about how we can assist in your organization’s digital transformation, contact us. We are here to help.