Weaver’s Energy Compliance Services practice is dedicated to helping businesses navigate compliance with evolving regulations. Transportation fuel regulations governed by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), Environment Canada and various state agencies are substantial areas of focus for our practice. We have extensive expertise with traditional petroleum-based fuel programs as well as renewable fuel programs, which are rooted in the Clean Air Act, the Low Carbon Fuels Standard and other regulations and initiatives. We help companies of all sizes understand the regulatory requirements, maintain compliance, and identify and maximize benefits available under applicable programs.
Weaver is one of the largest providers of EPA attestation services in the U.S. and one of only four firms whose Renewable Fuel Standard (RFS) Quality Assurance Plan (QAP), RIN-tegrity®, is approved by the U.S. EPA for domestic and foreign renewable fuel producers, as well as renewable fuel importers.
Our Energy Compliance Services include:
Weaver specializes in performing a variety of attestation and auditing services that are directly related to petroleum and renewable fuels compliance. Our service offerings in this area include:
- Annual EPA attest engagements (agreed-upon procedures) required under the U.S. Code of Federal Regulations, Title 40, Part 80 - Regulation of Fuel and Fuel Additives
- Quality Assurance Plan (QAP) verification services, which is a voluntary assurance program related to the U.S. EPA's RFS program (see QAP services section below for more information)
- Due diligence procedures related to various aspects of fuels programs (e.g., renewable fuel producers, credits/RINs and transactions)
- Compliance audits required under Environment Canada’s petroleum and renewable fuels regulations
- Comprehensive compliance assessments related to various fuel programs (EPA and various state agencies)
- Assessments of petroleum testing laboratories (independent and refinery)
- Compliance audits for the State of Arizona, related to its fuels programs
Weaver specializes in providing operational support, strategic advice and regulatory consulting services to the petroleum and renewable fuels industries. Our team of professionals has an in-depth understanding of state and federal fuel compliance requirements. Our service offerings in this area include:
- General consulting services related to the U.S. Code of Federal Regulations (Parts 79, 80 and 98)
- General consulting services surrounding California Air Resources Board (CARB) fuels regulations and climate change programs
- California gasoline and diesel regulations
- California Low Carbon Fuel Standard (LCFS)
- General consulting services surrounding other federal (e.g., Environment Canada) and state fuels programs
- EPA Moderated Transaction System (EMTS) account management, related to RINs, gasoline sulfur and gasoline benzene credits
- Assistance with registration and reporting related to various fuels programs
- Conducting training sessions related to various fuel programs
- Brokering of various credits, including gasoline sulfur and gasoline benzene credits
Weaver is an approved auditor under the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s Renewable Fuel Standard (RFS) Quality Assurance Plans (QAP) program. One of only four qualified audit firms, Weaver has been given approval by the EPA to provide its RIN-tegrity® auditing service to U.S. renewable fuel producers, as well as to importers and foreign producers, for the following pathways:
- Corn Ethanol
- Renewable Diesel
- Sorghum Ethanol
- Renewable Naphtha
- Sugarcane Ethanol
- Cellulosic Fuels
Our services include:
- Registration: Verification of company, facility, fuel registrations and grandfathered status per EPA requirements
- Feedstock: Review purchase contracts, invoices and bills of lading, certificates of analysis, crop-based sources and separated food waste plans
- Production Processes: Site visit(s) by a professional engineer from Weaver or one of our strategic partners to facilitate production compliance
- RIN Generation: Review RIN generation calculations, fuel sales contracts, product designations, certificates of analysis and product transfer documents
- RIN Separation: Confirmation of the qualifying separation activities and their associated timing
- Reporting & Record Keeping: Verification of activity reported to EPA versus producer’s records, and creation of an accurate documentation history
In order to perform timely and cost-effective on-site inspections of foreign renewable fuel producing facilities and the related farmlands under its QAP program, Weaver has teamed with Control Union Certifications, an internationally recognized independent inspection and certification body, with more than 8,000 employees worldwide, and Geoflorestas Solucoes Ambientais, a geomapping and crop analysis firm.
Click here for a full list of Weaver's approved QAP pathways.
Weaver’s renewable energy services practice specializes in performing professional services for companies throughout the energy industry. The firm has more than 25 years of experience assisting clients with accounting needs, including financial statement audits, tax consulting and other advisory services.