Our reputation stands on providing insight with integrity and maintaining our independence and objectivity. With more than 65 years of experience, Weaver brings in-depth regulatory experience and proven best practices that ensure compliance for public companies and help company executives to make informed decisions toward achieving their business goals. Weaver’s public company practice group provides independent audit, tax and advisory services to public companies of all sizes across a spectrum of industries. Regardless of the nature or size of your operations and transactions, our knowledgeable, skilled and dedicated team can play a significant role in helping you fulfill your business plan.
We serve a variety of clients, including public companies, venture capital funds and their startup companies, private equity firms and their portfolio companies, companies preparing to go public, and companies going through mergers or acquisitions.
Services to Companies Preparing to Go Public
At Weaver, our experienced professionals work with companies like yours every day and appreciate what you have built. We understand the entrepreneurial point of view and we keep that view in mind as we help companies become “Publicly Fit.”
What do we mean by Publicly Fit companies?
Our definition reaches well beyond those companies contemplating a public offering. In today’s business environment, many private companies voluntarily choose to enhance their business operations and their compliance standards – to become Publicly Fit – because raising their business-operations bar increases opportunities and enhances overall enterprise value.
The road to becoming Publicly Fit involves several incremental steps, including:
- Enhancing financial reporting capabilities
- Implementing a risk assessment process
- Developing corporate governance practices
- Enhancing and strengthening internal controls and information technology systems
- Creating procedures compliant with U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) reporting rules
Having the right technical capacity can be a challenge along the path; Weaver provides augmentation and consulting services to companies looking to become public. These services range from audit readiness to financial reporting and include:
- Assisting the company in evaluating complex accounting and tax issues in difficult areas such as stock-based compensation, derivative instruments, reverse mergers, acquisitions, and other complex equity and debt transactions
- Preparing certain necessary audit-required documentation and train the company's employees how to maintain and update these files
- Evaluating documentation prepared by the company, and make the necessary enhancements and adjustments so that presentations are in accordance with auditors' standards
- Assisting with the preparation of the quarterly and annual SEC financial reporting filings
- Assisting in critical finance and accounting projects, implementations and strategic initiatives, such as a mergers and acquisitions analysis, both on the buy and sell side so they are strategically structured to achieve each party's goals while saving on transaction costs and beating the timelines
- Suggesting ways for accounting-related processes to run more effectively while maintaining efficiency in the company
- Evaluating and identifying appropriate internal control, including segregation of duties over financial-related processes to meet Sarbanes-Oxley 404, or SOX, compliance
- Assisting with organization of files for recordkeeping requirements (e.g., electronic files organized for easier access, scanning of documents, etc.)
Our Public Company Services include:
Registration of securities can be a tedious and lengthy process. Although the SEC provides filing guidelines, there are no formal rules on how to complete the actual registration process. We will work with you to ensure that all your company filings are completed accurately, timely, and in accordance with the SEC and FASB.
We can help with the following:
- Registration of a public offering of securities under the Securities Act of 1933 (including, but not limited to, initial public offerings and secondary offerings)
- Registration and reporting under the Securities Exchange Act of 1934 (including, but not limited to, annual and quarterly reporting)
- Extensible Business Reporting Language (XBRL) financial statement tagging in accordance with the current XBRL-US GAAP Taxonomy and all SEC regulations
- Interpretation and implementation of regulations governing various filing forms (Regulations S-X, S-K, and S-B, Staff Accounting Bulletins, Codification of Financial Reporting Policies, and industry guides)
- Researching and resolving issues through communications with the SEC's Division of Corporation Finance (including the Office of the Chief Accountant)
- Identification and communication of the SEC's key areas of focus in recent filings and emerging SEC development
Public-company transactions carry the potential for substantial risk and reward. Whether yours is a private company going public or a public entity considering a merger, acquisition or divestiture, the skills and experience of your auditors and advisors can significantly impact the success of your transaction. We believe that our clients should have a clear understanding of every aspect of a transaction – whether it is a growth strategy, divestiture or reverse merger.
Whether you are considering the merits of an Initial Public Offering (IPO), buy- or sell-side transaction, we can help you with the due diligence, structuring and closing the deal, making sure your transaction and business strategies are fully aligned.